Ada Recycling Coalition
August 12, 2009
The following members were present: Garmon Smith, Trudy Nevland, Deanna Piercy, Lisa Sharp, Doug Weirick, Ambrie Walker, Stan Fullingim, Glenda DeShazo, Marilyn Ellis and Dick Scalf.
Garmon Smith, Chair, called the meeting to order at 12:15 pm.
Treasurer’s Report – The balance reported was $1,865.22.
Minutes – Trudy Nevland distributed last month’s minutes (which were accepted for the record).
/ E-Waste Collection Event – Trudy Nevland announced that, pending approval from the city council, the city’s annual HHW event would be held on Saturday, October 10. She asked Ambrie Walker to help get Chickasaw Nation approval to use the ICON Center the week before and after the event E-waste.
Websites – Members were reminded and encouraged to check out ARC at the following:
- Twitter: Twitter.com/AdaRecycling
- MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/adarecyclingcoalition
- Blog: http://adarecyclingcoalition.blogspot.com
- FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Ada-Recycling-Coalition/117302651170?ref=ts . Or just tell people to search for Ada Recycling Coalition on Facebook. When ARC has 100 people following, we will get a shorter URL.
Howdy Fair – Ambrie Walker reported that she and Dana Nickell would be manning a recycling booth for ARC during the Howdy Fair at ECU.
– Ambrie Walker reported that the Chickasaw Nation hopes to open a “re-use center” next year and asked for volunteers from ARC and possibly from ECU environmental students to help man it. Walker also asked members to review a draft “Energy and Natural Resource Conservation Management Plan” she was working on.
City of Ada Recycling – Stan Fullingim, Recycling Coordinator, reported 534 tons sold in this year’s second quarter. Discussion as to where to set a recycling trailer ensued. The Chickasaw Nation’s parking lot near Cradduck and Kerr Lab Road was suggested as an optimum location.
DISCUSSION – Garmon Smith would like to see cardboard collected from students moving into dorms next year during ECU’s move-in day.
ANNOUNCEMENTS – None
The meeting was adjourned at 1 pm. Afterwards, members checked out Dr. Weirick’s new totally-electric car.
Trudy Nevland, ARC Secretary